Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Maybe I Like It This Way...

Generally I am a "straight play" actress, which means that the work I do is primarily in dramas and comedies, as opposed to being an actress who works primarily in musicals. I can sing and I am a good mover, but...

Well, Queenie is changing all of that for me. Frankly, there are LOTS of people who still say, "I didn't know you could sing," to which I answer, "In another life, I was actually a music major," although that is not quite the first thing that comes to mind at the moment. Memory is a funny thing.

There is a part of me who likes to think that being comfortable is the preferable way to live, but more and more it is proven to me (by me) that what I really crave is getting outside of my comfort zone and taking a risk. A life lived on the edge is a life worth living--or, at the very least, it is a life worth attempting to live!

This work of THE WILD PARTY is hard work, but it is oh, so worth it. I come home complaining sometimes about how difficult everything is, but then I have to admit that I wouldn't have it any other way. I am WAY outside of my comfort zone, but I don't think I would be happy anywhere else.

Last week was particularly rough for me on several levels, and at one point I knew I was going to cry. I made sure to not cry in rehearsal, because, well, I really just can't stand that kind of self-absorption, but I did *almost* cry in front of someone who, thank God, would not let me get away with that kind of bull-shit.

This week is different. I feel as though I am coming into my own and that I am beginning to really get a grasp on QUEENIE and who I am in that role. I am surrounded by amazing artists who support and encourage, but who also challenge me to kick it all up a notch. I have a music director who really knows where this story is going and how we're going to get there and and assistant director who pays attention to every moment, every word, every note. Sometimes I think that without our stage manager we would have no record of what we have done!

I am in good hands, and I am excited. I know that I am exactly where I am supposed to be, and that I will be going to places I have never been before in this show! I spend a great deal of time crawling out of my skin because it is all so foreign to me...

But just like QUEENIE, maybe I like it this way. No. Just like QUEENIE, I KNOW that I like it this way.

No Limits, No Boundaries, No Compromise,
Margeau/Queenie

No comments:

Post a Comment